Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Throwing yourself away

I used to buy Empire magazine every month. I started in January 1994 and missed only a few issues for the next ten years or so. I’m now merely a sporadic reader. If I’m going on holiday, or if there’s a particular cover story that catches my eye I’ll buy it. And I always get the Christmas issue.

This shameful lapsing isn’t a comment on the quality or otherwise of the mag; it’s just me being lazy, watching my cash – and also not going to the cinema anywhere near as often as I used to. In fact, the truth is I hardly ever go anymore. But that's for another entry.

Without imbuing this whole thing with really deep importance, it is quite something when you finally let go of the props and stabilisers you once relied upon. Maybe you just subconsciously swap them for something else. Today I finally dumped my very first (Windows 95) PC on the pavement outside my home (it’s collection day, don’t worry). Soaked, and returning from the supermarket I was just in time to see the bin lorry enter the street. By the time I’d walked down my road my ex-PC was gliding away in a questionable chariot. Literally dumped after a long-term relationship. I’d like to write something poetic or wistful about thousands of emails sharing space with dumped fridges and last week’s TV model, but I actually removed - and kept - the hard drive. I’m not that stupid.

Listening to:
My Maudlin Career - LP by Camera Obscura
Tommy - compilation LP by The Wedding Present
Bizarro – LP by The Wedding Present
One of the Boys – song by Katy Perry

Watching/recently watched: Scream; True Blood series 1; Dexter series 3; various embarrassing TV shows

Reading: The Necropolis Railway by Andrew Martin

Playing: Fifa 09 (PS2); Fifa 07 (PSP)

Hacked off by: The fact I wrote this about six weeks ago and forgot to post it up

Cheered up by: Shopping around and finding cheap food; finishing first draft of a short script; writing amusing (to me) copy for a Christmas fanzine; wine; tea